What is a Shampoo Bar?
Shampoo bars are the best natural hair care product for both you and the planet.
Why Switch to a Shampoo Bar?
Solid shampoo bars are an easy zero waste swap that clean your hair gently and naturally.
Better For Your Hair
• No Buildup — Free from Sodium Lauryl Sulfates (SLS), waxes, silicone, and parabens which can cause buildup on your hair.
• Doesn’t Strip Hair — Our organic shampoo bars are free from harsh detergents that steal your hair’s natural oils.
• Cleans Gently — Ideal for sensitive scalp and color-treated hair. Or any hair, really! Free from artificial fragrances, preservatives, parabens, or detergents.
Better for Our Planet
• Lasts Longer — You’ll get twice as many washes compared to liquid shampoo.
• Saves Water — Solid bars that are dense with concentrated ingredients require less water to make and less fossil fuels to ship.
How to Use a Natural Shampoo Bar
Washing Your Hair
2) Work into the Scalp — Massage suds gently thru hair and scalp.
3) Rinse Thoroughly — Shampoo bar suds may rinse out more slowly than liquid detergent-based shampoo.
4) Repeat — Rinse and repeat if necessary (some find it helps reduce tangles).
Conditioning Your Hair and Scalp
1) Mix — You can use a commercially available Apple Cider Vinegar rinse or make your own at home. If mixing yourself, we recommend the following ratios:
• For Dry hair: 4 parts water, 2 parts Apple Cider Vinegar
• For Oily hair: 2 parts water, 2 parts Apple Cider Vinegar
2) Apply — Spray or pour Apple Cider Vinegar on your wet hair after washing.
3) Rinse — Leave it in for a few minutes, then rinse out. You may also leave it in if you like. The vinegar scent will disappear once evaporated. Use Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse as often as you wash your hair.
4) After — For extra conditioning, you may also use a hair oil of your choosing. Or try using our Herbal Lotion Bar. Just rub a tiny amount on your fingers and style thru your hair.
So, when switching to a natural shampoo bar, many people experience a transition period for hair to adjust and restore balance its scalp oil production.
Depending on your hair, this could take a few days or weeks. During this adjustment, your hair may feel more oily, waxy, or dry and frizzy than normal. Be patient. Ultimately, your hair and the planet will be happier without the harsh chemicals of commercial liquid shampoo.
Shampoo Bar FAQ’s
What is the difference between soap and shampoo bars?
The main difference between MVO soap and MVO shampoo bars is the amount of castor oil is increased in the shampoo bar due to its moisturizing and anti-inflammatory properties which makes it an excellent option to keep hair soft and hydrated and help reduce dandruff symptoms. In addition, we use herbs beneficial to hair like Nettle and Horsetail to strengthen hair and stimulate scalp.
What are natural shampoo bars made of?
Our shampoo bars are made with herb infused oils of Safflower, coconut, palm and castor oils. The palm oil we use is sustainably sourced through Palm Done Right. The herbs we chose are specific to benefit your hair and topped off with premium essential oils for a spa experience in your shower.
How often should I wash my hair with shampoo bar?
Our shampoo bar can be used daily depending on your hair type. People with dryer hair may want to wash every other day or so.
How long does a natural shampoo bar last?
People typically get twice the usage out of a shampoo bar, compared to liquid shampoo in a bottle. To make your bar last longer, elevate your bar keeping it away from water in between uses.
Do I need to use a conditioner with a shampoo bar?
Personally, I have hard water and need to use a Apple Cider Vinegar rinse no matter what but you may experience something different. We recommend a Apple Cider Vinegar rinse (more on that in our conditioning section) and your favorite hair oil or lotion bar. Stay tuned for MVO products!
How long does it take for hair to adjust to shampoo bar?
It varies from person to person (and conditions), but I personally experienced about a 2 week (funky) period which my hair seemed waxy and dull but I’m loving the results now. My hair looks and feels soft and full of body. I usually wash daily, use an Apple Cider Vinegar rinse, and dab of hair oil.
Can a shampoo bar be used on color treated hair?
Yes, they are great for color treated hair because they do not contain the harsh stripping chemicals.
Which is the best shampoo bar for me?
Different hair types respond to different recipes. We make 5 different shampoo bars for a variety of needs:
• Peppermint Scalp Renewing — Tea tree for dry-itchy scalp
• Sweet Carrot Moisturizing Bar — for normal to dry hair types
• Pink Geranium Rose Clay — gentle cleanse for all hair types
• Lemongrass Activated Charcoal — for normal to oily great for detoxifying
• Siberian Fir Blue Clay— for all hair types deep cleanse